Monday, October 12, 2020

College During a Pandemic

   Embarking on an educational journey during this time  has become increasingly harder, and yet easier in some ways, because of the restrictions the pandemic has placed on us. In most ways I don't believe COVID has provided students with an equal opportunity for learning. It has limited students' abilities to have chances for hands-on learning and practice in the classroom setting across the board in the educational system. For example, my nephew has not been in the daycare center interacting with other children and participating in activities that exposes him to new environments to enhance his sense-related processes. In terms of our campus environment, we are in a similar situation because many of the Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and students of other related classes are at a disadvantage because they have lost the ability work on skills in the lab setting. Online learning has normalized using outside resources and just completing assignments instead of learning organically and memorizing material for future classes in a beneficial way that contributes to your overall knowledge.
    COVID-19 has caused me to struggle with some of my most important classes. I have gotten closer to failing than I would like to admit. Pass/ Fail saved my life last semester. I cannot fully put the blame on the situation COVID put me in, but it has contributed to the mentality ande effort I show towards classes. It has genuinely caused me to rethink my whole degree and Pre-Medicine track. I think implementing a plan for students regarding Pass/ Fail as a last resort option would be a great idea for students. I think it would take a lot of pressure and stress off the mind's of students regarding GPA. I know students who are fighting for the option to have change their grading scale at Murray State University. They are currently creating and signing petitions. I don't see many issues with changing to Pass/Fail because you only fail if you receive an E in a class. That means more students than usual may be passing classes. That, however, may become an issue for university officials.
    This pandemic has definitely left me in a place where I am less competitive. My grades are not where they should be for medical school applications. I have lost opportunities to volunteer, shadow, work, and research because COVID has forced us to limit interactions with other individuals. COVID has left myself, along with others, in a vulnerable position because of the way it has forced us to change what we considered to be our "normal" lifestyles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best Blog Photo

  The photograph shown here is my a picture showing my five friends Bri, Jaiden, Janelle, Tiffany, Patrick, and myself waiting to be seated ...